Advertised Programs Do Not Download

I was deploying the HP WebCam software to Notebooks and it just would not work.

I even went back to the start and cleared the advertisement, re-created the package and program, cleared the cache on the target client and then readvertised.

It took a bit of log digging but i found it in the end.

1st Log: PolicyAgent on Client – Client receives policy update from triggered schedule (see previous thread)

2nd Log: Execmgr on Client – Client receives advertised program and sends to download

3rd Log: ContentTransferMananger on Client – Client starts downloading to cache. (Enters phase DOWNLOADING_DATA)

4th Log: CAS on Client – Client starts to download but NotifyDownloadProgressEx shows downloaded size 0

5th Log: DataTransferService on Client – the final entry is cdtsjob::joberror follwed by job GUID

At this point nothing else happens. I checked BITS throttling, all ok on server and client.

Thanks for reading this far, here is the good bit…

BITS goes through IIS on the distribution point. So check the logs on the DP. (C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\W3SVC1). Check the newest log and the latest entries. Here is mine:

2011-02-18 16:22:42 172.16.0.169 HEAD /SMS_DP_SMSPKGD$/00100028/WEBCAM_X64_10/BIN/AS_Storage_w32.dll – 80 – 192.168.8.52 Microsoft+BITS/7.5 404 8 0 199
The key here is the code at the end. I have a 404 error. Another common scenario is a 401 error. The number directly after is the subcode, i.e. 404.8 in my case.

Here is the key to the http codes:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943891

401.7 means the applicationHost.config needs to be correctly edited for webDav, 404.8 means part of the path is designated a ‘hidden segment’ in applicationHost.config – you should remember making similar changes when you installed SCCM.

By default, one of the segments hidden in the applicationHost.config is ‘bin’ and HP’s download of software contains bin folders. 

Removing the bin entry from the hiddenSegments section of applicationHost.config resolves the issue.

Hope it helps.

Advertisement

Task Sequence Error 80004005 Unspecified Error

I ran into this error today, building a Windows 7 image from a Build and Capture Task Sequence. The SMSTSLog showed the following at the “Setup windows and ConfigMgr” step:

The task sequence execution engine failed executing the action (Setup windows and ConfigMgr) in the group (Build the Reference Machine) with the error code 2147500037
Action output: on information to C:\_SMSTaskSequence\unattend.xml
Successfully initialized driver information
Command line for extension .EXE is “%1” %*
Set command line: “\\SCCMSERVER.LOCAL\SMSPKGD$\100004\SOURCES\SETUP.EXE” “/unattend:C:\_SMSTaskSequence\unattend.xml” /noreboot
Executing command line: “\\SCCMSERVER.LOCAL\SMSPKGD$\100004\SOURCES\SETUP.EXE” “/unattend:C:\_SMSTaskSequence\unattend.xml” /noreboot
Process completed with exit code 31
Windows Setup completed with exit code 31
EnteringReleaseSource() for \\SCCMSERVER.LOCAL\SMSPKGD$\100004reference count 1 for the source \\SCCMSERVER.LOCAL\SMSPKGD$\100004\ before releasing
Released the resolved source \\SCCMSERVER.LOCAL\SMSPKGD$\100004exitCode == 0, HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\setupwindows\setupwindows.cpp,440)
setup.run(), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\setupwindows\setupwindows.cpp,1707)
Exiting with code 0x80004005
Windows setup failed, code 31. The operating system reported error 2147500037: Unspecified error

The task sequence execution engine failed execution of a task sequence. The operating system reported error 2147500037: Unspecified error

It turns out that this was due to using a MAK Product key from the customer in the Task Sequence, the indicator was the “Windows setup failed, code 31” error.

Removing the key solved the problem. Using a Volume key should be ok but haven’t got one to test this out yet.

Hope this helps.

Andy